Normally a body’s immune cells go through a self-recognition and self-tolerance
type test. This ensures that these cells are able to recognize its own MHC
proteins and will not react towards them in harmful ways. When a person has an autoimmune
disease, the immune system does not recognize its own cells and mistakenly
attacks and destroys its own healthy tissues. Review the following resource to
take note of how many different autoimmune diseases are currently recognized:
Source: American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, Inc. (2014). List of
Diseases. Retrieved from
Use the resource provided above to find a disease that interests you. Once you
have selected one autoimmune disease, research it in further detail and include
• Define the disease.
• Describe all relevant symptoms.
• List all known causes of the disorder; include any environmental factors that
may be involved; list and medications and/or genetics that may cause the
• Identify any known risk factors; include any age groups, race, genders that
are affected more than others.
• Describe any known prevention methods.
• List treatments used for the disease; include FDA approved and alternative
• Describe any relevant research that discusses new treatment options and/or
cures for the disease noted within the past 2 years.
Basic Writing Expectations:
• Paper should be at least 1000 words, not counting the title or reference
pages, answering all questions listed above.
• Include a title page, double space, font size 12 in Times New Roman.
• A minimum of at least 4 credible peer reviewed sources (in addition to the
text) should be used.
• Use APA style for all citations.