Addresses learning outcome(s):
1. students will have conducted a research project and written up the results;
2. will know how to design and conduct research projects in the field of management;
3. will be able to ground theoretical elements of management in particular case study organisations;
4. will know how to interpret and present the results of research in management, including recommendations for future organisational action.
Related graduate attribute(s):
1. UC graduates are professional – communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional – employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional – use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens – adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens – communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens – think globally about issues in their profession
You should consider a project that meets your career interests. In the past, some students have worked on:
* collection of data (eg. surveys/ focus groups) to solve a research problem (incl. associated report)
* analysis of literature to solve a research problem (eg a thorough literature review of the direction of social media research or management theories etc)
* creation of a web page and report regarding the process and the future of the site
* a business plan for the establishment of a new organization
* a social media plan, implemented for an organization or cause (LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog, Facebook)
* a not-for-profit organization plan
* international analysis of documents
* policy report development for your industry
* and many others – think creatively
You should think creatively, and also consider your career interests. For example, a student keen to go on for further academic study may develop a very different project compared with a student who wishes to set up a business tomorrow!
NOTE: There are no classes for this subject. You can meet with Raechel Johns, the unit convenor, to discuss, or discuss over email. I look forward to meeting you face to face or virtually during this course
Develop a proposal outlining:
• the problem / issue you wish to solve
• your motivation for doing this (eg. career/ personal interests)
• how you will tackle it – eg. write a report, collect data (where from?), develop something (eg. a web page – how?)
• the future beyond the project – do you envisage using the material for your work? For interest? Going further? (it’s okay if not)
• Timeline for the project
Management project-1000-words with
Your fast-food franchise has been
cleared for business in all 4 countries (United Arab Emirates, Israel, Mexico,
and China).You now have to start construction on your restaurants. The
financing is coming from the United Arab Emirates, the materials are coming
from Mexico and China, the engineering and technology are coming from Israel,
and the labor will be hired locally within these countries by your management
team from the United States. You invite all of the players to the
headquarters in the United States for a big meeting to explain the project and
get to know one another. The people seem to be staying with their own
groups and not mingling.
What is the cultural phenomenon at
play here (what is it called / term)?
How do you explain the lack of
intercultural communication and interaction?
What do you know about these
cultures-specifically their economic, political, educational, and social
systems-that could help you in getting them together?
What are some of the contrasting
cultural values ??of these countries?
You are concerned about some of the
language barriers as you start the meeting, particularly the fact that the
United States is a low-context country, and some of the countries present are
high-context countries. Furthermore, you only speak English, and you do
not have an interpreter present.
How will this affect the
What are some of the issues you
should be concerned about regarding verbal and nonverbal language for this
What strategy would you use to begin
to have everyone develop a relationship with each other that will help ease
future negotiations, development, and implementation?